When you notice that one of your headlights is out, it’s time to think about replacing it asap. You can get pulled over for having a bad headlight, and you might even get ticketed. You don’t even have to bring your Mazda to a repair shop to have your headlight assembly replaced. You can do it at home with this tutorial.
The First Step: Getting an OEM Replacement Headlamp
If you’re going to replace your Mazda 3 headlamp yourself, you should order an OEM replacement headlamp beforehand. You can get one at your nearest Mazda dealership or repair shop, or you can order one online. Let’s discuss each option in more detail:
Ordering From a Mazda Dealership or Repair Shop
If you order your OEM replacement headlamp from a Mazda dealership, you’ll get it right away. However, it comes with a price. Dealerships and repair shops charge a markup of about 30%, so you’d be spending more money than necessary.
Often times, independent repair shops don’t have OEM parts on hand. If you order through one, you’d likely have to pay a markup and wait for the part to arrive. If you need a replacement right away, then a Mazda dealership is a better option than a repair shop. Dealerships normally have OEM parts in stock.
If you need to save money, then we suggest going online because you can get a genuine OEM headlamp assembly online for cheap. However, be careful where you buy the part. eBay and other marketplaces are rampant with counterfeit parts that are marketed as OEM parts. Do your due diligence when researching online OEM Mazda parts sellers.
REALMazdaParts.com is a reputable OEM Mazda parts seller. Our inventory is full of genuine OEM parts at wholesale prices. Check out our catalog of composite headlamps for Mazda 3 models, or take a look at our best sellers:
- Part No. BBM5-51-041M: Left headlamp for 2010-2011 Mazda 3 models
- Part No. BBM6-51-041M: Left headlamp for 2010-2013 Mazda 3 models
- Part No. BHN3-51-041B: Left headlamp for 2014-2016 Mazda 3 models
Complete Mazda 3 Headlamp Replacement Tutorial
In a nutshell, you’ll need to remove the bumper cover in order to replace your headlight assembly. Here’s a list of steps you need to take:
NOTE: This set of instructions is based on the 2005 Mazda 3 model. However, the process is similar across all Mazda 3 models.
Removing the Bumper Cover
- Go under the car and then remove all the 10mm bolts holding the front bumper cover in place.
- Go under each front wheel well and then remove the bolts.
- Remove the screws on top of the bumper cover and grille.
- Remove the 8mm bolt between the fender and bumper cover.
- There are two clips behind the bumper cover. Lift up both clips to disconnect the bumper cover from the frame.
- Gently pull off the bumper cover.
Now it’s time to remove the headlamp.
Removing the Headlamp Assembly
- Remove the 10mm bolts holding the headlamp in place.
- Remove the clip inside the headlamp and the top of the fender.
- On the side of the headlamp – the side that’s the closest to the grille – there’s another 10mm bolt. Take that out.
- There’s another bolt on the opposite side of the headlamp – the side that’s the closest to the fender. Take that out, too.
- Gently pull out the headlamp assembly by a few inches.
- Push in the pins behind the headlamp assembly and then pull out the light bulbs.
- Take the headlamp assembly off the car.
Installing the New Headlamp Assembly
- Slide the light bulbs into the new headlamp assembly and then turn them until they lock into position.
- Put the headlamp assembly back into the car and then bolt it in place.
- Install the bumper cover in the reverse order of removal listed above.
You’re welcome to contact us if you have any questions about the replacement process.